Today, we honor the people who started it all! It’s safe to say a movie begins with an idea, and out of that comes the screenplay. So, we celebrate our favorite movies because of the men and women who wrote them.
Here’s a list of my favorite screenwriters who have inspired me and continue to inspire me on my journey to becoming a successful screenwriter, myself:
- Woody Allen (Annie Hall, Match Point)
- Alan Ball (American Beauty)
- James Cameron (Aliens, Titanic)
- Paddy Chayefsky (Network)
- Damien Chazelle (La La Land, Whiplash)
- Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous)
- Eric Heisserer (Arrival, Lights Out)
- Charlie Kaufman (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – Story by Kaufman, Michel Gondry, and Pierre Bismuth)
- Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight – also written by Jonathan Nolan)
- M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense)
There’s many more to mention! Quentin Tarantino is amazing with dialogue in all of his films. Orson Welles’ “Citizen Kane” is a masterpiece of its time. Dustin Lance Black wrote a powerful screenplay with “Milk”. And, I hope Tina Fey, Amy Schumer, and Kristen Wiig continue their screenwriting careers after the successes of “Mean Girls”, “Trainwreck”, and “Bridesmaids”, respectively.
Who are your favorite screenwriters?